• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

W E Holden Laith Mill

RogerS

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 21, 2014
Messages
15,619
Reaction score
1,325
Location
Somerset
You'll not find a website for this magical company. Old school. Very old school. One of the old guys there had a beard almost down to his waist, long hair over his shoulders, a few teeth missing and string holding up his trousers. Great guy with some great wood stories. As well as supplying timber of all shapes and sizes and species, they do a lot of work themselves and some of the photos I was shown were very impressive.

But it was the sheer size of their machines that made my jaw drop and I reckon Dan would have been in Hog Heaven.

This machine was used to rip down the plank of walnut I was after...they were very happy to simply cut a slice of the wide plank for me. (I grabbed this image off the web as I didn't think to take any photos while I was there).



and apparently they have an even larger machine out the back.

The spindle moulder was massive...I didn't catch the name but it could take bloody great cutters.

No website....old school. They are retiring in a few years time and it will be a sad time. Hardly any places like this left.

I got told about them by Andersen's in Carlisle when I was after a bit more walnut. I told the guys at W E Holden who'd recommended them..

"Hey...hey", he chuckled. "They sometimes do that when they can't source something. We never need to recommend them. Hey...hey"
 
RogerS":2fxgmwur said:
Hardly any places like this left."

You’d be surprised Rog, over the last few years I’ve found quite a few it’s more to do with them not being well known, the one place has a Stenner that makes the one in your photo look like a tiddler :lol:
 
Back
Top