• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

A poll to find out which types of power saw you have

Which type of power saws do you have in your workshop

  • Table Saw

    Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Band saw

    Votes: 59 80.8%
  • Basic circular saw

    Votes: 54 74.0%
  • Track saw

    Votes: 40 54.8%
  • Jig saw

    Votes: 67 91.8%
  • Scroll saw

    Votes: 23 31.5%
  • Sabre saw

    Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Mitre saw

    Votes: 52 71.2%
  • Other power saw

    Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I only use hand saws

    Votes: 2 2.7%

  • Total voters
    73
  • Poll closed .

9fingers

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 21, 2014
Messages
10,414
Reaction score
165
Location
Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New F
Following up on an assertion about the proportion of members who have table saws, I thought I'd open it up to as many forms of saw that I could think of for curiosity sake.
Feel free to post any comments as well as vote. If you have some saw types but rarely use them that would be of interest too.

Thanks
Bob
PS NOT trying open up a tablesaw Vs bandsaw debate specifically - thats been done to death in the past :lol:
 
Surprised not to see mitre saw and compound mitre saw in the list.
 
Radial arm saw might usefully be on the list, too.
 
I included a tick for a powered scrollsaw, but for the avoidance of doubt, it's bread and cheese powered, via a treadle.
 
oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

it would appear that I have them all. I don't know how this has happened. assuming when you was sabre saw you mean a reciprocating saw that is.

oscillating saw is missing (multi tool).
 
I just edited my response to tick "other" as well because I forgot about the chainsaw which I use for dovetails (or perhaps it was for milling some logs into boards. I forget now)
 
AndyT":3220w4lj said:
I included a tick for a powered scrollsaw, but for the avoidance of doubt, it's bread and cheese powered, via a treadle.

I'm afraid you've gone right down in my estimation Andy using new fangled machines like that. :eusa-whistle:
 
You can't possibly have cast your own vote Mr Bob ninefingers sir. I know this because no one has yet ticked the " only use handsaws" box. :twisted: ;)
 
Lons":o5b4ohfr said:
You can't possibly have cast your own vote Mr Bob ninefingers sir. I know this because no one has yet ticked the " only use handsaws" box. :twisted: ;)


:lol: I sort of had Andy T in mind when I added this "none of the above" option but he did not go for it!

Bob
I did use a handsaw today. Some of our Wisteria needed hacking back and it was an ideal weapon for the job!
 
I think the main thing this shows is that our esteemed moderator can't remember many different types of saw.

Most of us seem to have pretty much everything. This may explain why on this forum we don't get endless threads asking the world at large which bl**dy table saw they should buy or why their bandsaw won't cut straight.....
 
9fingers":3g6ua52r said:
Lons":3g6ua52r said:
You can't possibly have cast your own vote Mr Bob ninefingers sir. I know this because no one has yet ticked the " only use handsaws" box. :twisted: ;)


:lol: I sort of had Andy T in mind when I added this "none of the above" option but he did not go for it!

I was tempted but I was being strictly honest - you ask about which power saws we have and then ask if we only use handsaws. If you had put 'also' or better still 'mostly' I would have ticked that box!


Oh and maybe I should have ticked 'other' as well, but I'm very unlikely to use my Black & Decker drill circular saw attachment ever again, despite still owning it, somewhere a long way down in the workshop storage system. ;)
 
AndyT":1bor2c3a said:
........ I'm very unlikely to use my Black & Decker drill circular saw attachment ever again.......

I should jolly well hope so! A frightening piece of awfulness, designed surely with flesh removal as the number one priority.
 
Mike G":2l0g4ujq said:
AndyT":2l0g4ujq said:
........ I'm very unlikely to use my Black & Decker drill circular saw attachment ever again.......

I should jolly well hope so! A frightening piece of awfulness, designed surely with flesh removal as the number one priority.

Hardly worth listing it on the for sale board after that review! Ho hum. :?
 
Ooops, sorry Andy. But frankly, the world is safer with it stored in the back of some deep dark cupboard in your workshop than in the hands of some new-to-woodworking enthusiast.
 
Bob... How could you overlook Straight Line Edgers, Multi-Rip Saws, Panel Saws, Vertical Panel Saws, Horizontal Bandsaws, Beam Saws, Upcut Saws, Pendulum Crosscut Saws, Resaws, and Laser-Guided Sawmills? Shame on you... :lol:

In all seriousness, I think the only thing I don't have is a Scroll Saw, the one I use the least in the workshop is probably the Jigsaw, but it does get a bit more use out n' about.
 
Mike G":s0pf7ci6 said:
Ooops, sorry Andy. But frankly, the world is safer with it stored in the back of some deep dark cupboard in your workshop than in the hands of some new-to-woodworking enthusiast.

I inherited one of those circular saw drill attachments from my wife’s great uncle when he passed away. I knew nothing about working with wood at the time, but I immediately decided it looked completely lethal and never used it (sadly I think I dumped it, because I’d like to have a closer look at it knowing what I know now).
 
AJB Temple":1mnfoagt said:
I think the main thing this shows is that our esteemed moderator can't remember many different types of saw.

Most of us seem to have pretty much everything. This may explain why on this forum we don't get endless threads asking the world at large which bl**dy table saw they should buy or why their bandsaw won't cut straight.....

we know the answer to that one, it's cos we're numpties
 
Wow, MrP, that does look a bit dodgy.
Here's mine. Choice of blades - rusty, rustier and rustiest. But note that the black thing at the middle right is a safety guard.
My kit also boasts a sander which works by shaking itself to bits.

The sticker on the drill says 1981, which felt quite recent until I realised it's 40 years ago.

IMG_20210227_113954457_HDR.jpg
 
Well, I stuck my neck out in another thread, and I now hold my hand up and say I was wrong. There are far more table saws here than I thought.

What I would be curious about is how many of them are floor standing machines, and how many are portable site saws, albeit mounted on cabinets or the like.
 
9fingers":3kibpcie said:
My dad used to have a picador version. He made loads of furniture with and don’t recall it being particularly dangerous.
Bob
My dad also. Wolf drill and Picador saw attachment. My father made his living with it. Up until when the Wolf drill gave up, and he bought a Stanley Bridges replacement.
 
Years ago I used to have one of these.

64AB5B09-8B8C-46A6-B686-389E2F09C214.jpeg

It replaces one of the wooden jaws on a workmate with a circular saw slung underneath.

Can’t remember ever getting rid of it but not seen it since we moved here
 
Mr P":ecivrlk8 said:
I'll see all your B&D saw attachments and raise a box joint maker. :D
Oh I have a frame like that drill is mounted in. It was my father's. Not knowing what it was I have never done anything with it and judging by its condition I doubt Dad did either. Come to think of it I have his old B&D drill that it probably goes with. Now let me think ... should I give it a try? I think the answer I am looking for is "NO!".
 
No chainsaw in the poll........ I have one. Husqvarna 353.

No circular rip saw in the poll either though they are said to be particularly common in UK. Mine is a 24" model but it is not running yet.
 
I'm not sure what the difference is between a (handheld) jigsaw and a saber saw, but I picked saber saw. The stationary power tool sometimes called a jigsaw I call a scroll saw. My "other" category is my radial arm saw.

As for my table saw, it's definitely not a table-top saw. This isn't it, but mine looks just about the same:

11400-B.jpg


It's an Oliver 232. It weighs about 1200 lbs and swings a 14" blade.

Kirk
 
But rushed today but if I remember I'll grab a photo of a home made powered hacksaw I inherited from my great uncle. I've yet had the courage to use it.
 
kirkpoore1":2nzuswi5 said:
It's an Oliver 232. It weighs about 1200 lbs and swings a 14" blade.

That looks like a really beefy tilting mechanism! Does the table tilt rather than the blade?
 
Trevanion":gebmtbga said:
kirkpoore1":gebmtbga said:
It's an Oliver 232. It weighs about 1200 lbs and swings a 14" blade.

That looks like a really beefy tilting mechanism! Does the table tilt rather than the blade?

Ooh I hope the table does not tilt. I had a little Kity when I first started out with a tilting table and it was awful to rip with as gravity always wanted to join in during the cut.
I dont miss that saw one little bit.
Bob
 
Trevanion":a5v0abh6 said:
kirkpoore1":a5v0abh6 said:
It's an Oliver 232. It weighs about 1200 lbs and swings a 14" blade.

That looks like a really beefy tilting mechanism! Does the table tilt rather than the blade?

Yes, it has a guard and a riving knife.

The tilting mechanism is that beefy because it's a direct drive saw. The motor, mount, and sawdust catcher/counterweight probably weigh 300+ lbs. Because of the counterweight, it tilts very easily unless I let the gears get gummed up with sawdust.

Kirk
 
Back
Top