• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Seven Heirlooms - You'll never guess……!

Well done on saving that one, new bridge design and remaking 6 more and your sorted.
Many years ago when I played bass in a band, Kev who played a number of acoustic guitars used to stick a contact mic on with double sided tape. How technology has moved on.
 
Yes, the CuF has been, but I think I caught the little blighter just in time for 6 of them, and added a modification to the seventh.

It's like this. I have made all them to be fitted with undersaddle piezo pickups. The hole in the back of the body is big enough to receive the 1/4" jack plug. Modern ukulele ensembles frequently play with tiny amplifiers, so it made sense to future proof these instruments.

I designed all the bridges in my CAD/CAM software and milled them on the CNC machine. The Ebony (or it could have be African Blackwood that I got from a piano restorer) came out lovely. The design of the bridge came from the plans that I have always used.

What I didn't do was
a) measure the gaps between the four raised parts of the pickup to see if they were the same gaps as the string post holes in the bridge. 'Course they weren't!
And b) measure the depth of the the pickup to see if there was enough room in the saddle slot for it to accommodate the pickup and the saddle. 'Course it doesn't!

View attachment 58297

And, I'd already glued the first bridge to the first body!!!

The solution? Firstly, redesign the bridge in CAD/CAM to accommodate the pickup's both width and depth for the six bodies yet to have their bridges fitted.

Secondly, design an extension for the first bridge to accommodate the depth, even though the raised section of the pickup with not be precisely aligned with the strings. It's not pretty, but it does that job.

View attachment 58299

The extension is glued on to the original bridge, the pickup is in the slot and the saddle awaits.

View attachment 58300

The saddle fits. It's quite proud now, but at setup time, I will file/sand away the underside of the saddle till the height is correct for the strings.

You spotted the tiny little jack plug. Where does that go, I hear you say. Well, it goes into the other end of a 1/4" jack socket.

View attachment 58307

You spotted the little sponge cube, that's to stop the cable rattling around inside the body while it's being played.

View attachment 58308


You might have also spotted I fed a 1/4" jack through the back passage (oo er, Missus) to fit into the jack socket.

View attachment 58303

So I can withdraw it along with the socket through that aforementioned passage.

View attachment 58304

So now I can fit the washer and locknut along with the strap button.

View attachment 58305

The toothpick it put in a hole in the thread to stop the socket rotating while tightening the locknut.

View attachment 58306

And there's the strap button fitted. Job done, and breeeaathe.
:)


View attachment 58311

Time to set up the CNC machine and mill 6 redesigned bridges.
The detail of the wood binding at the sides and top look fantastic Malc.
 
The detail of the wood binding at the sides and top look fantastic Malc.
Thank you, Scott. I do recall it took a bit of doing.

But the timbers themselves are really good to look at, and I see it as my job the try and enhance them as much as I can.
 
Malc, looking 'excellent'! Take off my hat to you for such patience.

Here is something you might want to add when giving the instruments.

29ecf91ed962de01105978656b0d6cce.jpg

6be6cc2e649157284e277b901c5bd7cf.jpg
 
Malc, looking 'excellent'! Take off my hat to you for such patience.

Here is something you might want to add when giving the instruments.

View attachment 58357

View attachment 58358
Oo, that's nice, Phil. I might have to think about making some of them.

Mind you, by the time I've finished this batch, mobile phones could well be obsolete! :)
 
Here they are.

49FDFB8A-27CB-4A25-A146-AABCC6C5D8B7.jpeg


The difference is subtle.

4ED2B8B3-EE6E-4668-A32D-9076A622A082.jpeg

The difference between the hole centres is 1.7mm; 13 instead of 14.7.

996C847F-4760-4835-B797-7E259609FB84.jpeg

So that the four raised sections of the piezo pickup will be not only be under the bone saddle, but directly below where the string will pass over the saddle. I put the flash on so you can just make out the raised bits of the pickup in line with the string holes.
 
Having sorted the bridges out for the six and made the extension and fitted the bridge for the first instrument, it's time to put the neck and the body together.

AEC8A938-2304-491A-A37B-8F4E429DCE1E_1_201_a.jpeg

Prepare the work area; both components, the long T hex key to tighten the bolt, glue paraphanlia.

59BE7D37-3352-410F-9106-72AE17044061_1_201_a.jpeg

Glue the underside of the fretboard overhang, offer the tenon to the mortise, engage the bolt and tighten.

Then clamp the overhang down on to the body and clean up squeeze out.



1E5E4E8E-316A-4696-8C85-4CF00DCE1FCC_1_201_a.jpeg

Next, feed a 1/4" jack plug through the tail hole, engage with the jack socket and plug the tiny jack plug of the under saddle pixel pickup into the main jack socket.

Then pull the jack lead through. Remove the plug and fit the socket lock nut.

String the instrument and tune up.

72CBA9F6-7355-416B-BA1A-49961F40947E_1_201_a.jpeg

It ain't 'alf loud for such a tiny instrument


2DA3362C-5CA1-409B-9096-B8B46246E590_1_201_a.jpeg

I'm afraid my photos just don't do justice the fantastic finish both front and back and the lovely contrast of the black and gold tuners and the wood.

I also think that black strings make it just a little more sophisticated than the 'clear' strings.


Six more to go.
 
Nice, very nice.
Did you find a suitable case for these.

I got the first case out yesterday and the instrument wouldn't fit! The internals of the case are just too small.

Photographs and measurements taken, email composed not yet quoting consumer rights act, and 'send' pressed.

Within 5 minutes I had a reply apologising and stating a colleague would contact shortly to resolve the situation and arrange return of the good.

Watch this space.
 
First the good news.

52E13E3F-1221-4C3E-AD30-F2DE1B34B202.jpeg

They're 95% finished. I've got to fine tune the string grooves, in the nut to set the string height and stretch the monofilament strings enough for them to stop going out of tune.

They look gorgeous. They sound gorgeous and are so loud for an instrument that small. I'm proud of what I've been able to achieve.

Now the bad news. The supplier of the cases initially accepted to take back the cases and issue a refund on the basis that they were 'not as described', i.e. described as concert ukulele case, but a concert ukulele can't fit. They invoiced me a return label which I duly paid. I ordered from elsewhere the type of packaging they prescribe for their returns.

Then three days ago, i got a phone call saying they were not going to refund on the basis that this was outside their 30 day return policy.

There was a heated discussion on the phone which went round in circles but never got anywhere. They intimated they might refund the returns shipping label. I terminated the call before I said something I might have regretted.

My bank don't want to take up the refund claim because I paid by PayPal, and PayPal don't want to take up the claim because it's out of time, notwithstanding the reasons I gave.

BTW, have you tried using PayPal's systems. Their site timed me out twice while I was typing their up to 2000 word explanation. Then timed me out on the phones while answering their automated bot.

So I'm left with seven cases that no-one can make use of because that size of instrument won't fit. I can't even give them away to a school or something like the because of that.

Some days you're the statue.
 
That's awful. I wish I could see a way out.

But hey, you've made seven beautiful instruments!

You've pushed yourself way past what you'd done before. You've solved loads of problems along the way. WELL DONE!🪅🤗🤸🎉👏
 
I shall look into that.
Worth pursuing Malc, but the salient point is that you still need cases for the instruments as the ones you have are nfg, so what's the next step as first n'foremost you have to find some more cases and second n'foremost, you have to dispose, sell whatever the existing ones?? - Rob

Edit - having quickly researched the cost I can see they're not cheap
 
I wish I had some good advice to help you deal with the issue Malc. I will, however, echo Andy's comment: you've done a great job and should be really proud of it, so very well done. 🍾

Maybe your next project could be seven more instruments sized to fit in the "spare" cases you now have ;) 🤣
 
Worth pursuing Malc, but the salient point is that you still need cases for the instruments as the ones you have are nfg, so what's the next step as first n'foremost you have to find some more cases and second n'foremost, you have to dispose, sell whatever the existing ones?? - Rob

Edit - having quickly researched the cost I can see they're not cheap
Thanks, Rob. My problem is I come from a post war generation that always had to look for cheapest. I fight that feeling even now at my age. I bought some cheap Chinese gig bags to start with which when they arrived as I started making the instruments it became apparent to me that the instruments deserved better.

I had bought some good cases from this supplier before and I wanted the same, but they'd stopped supplying them. So I looked round their site and came across the ones I eventually ordered, thinking they were not cheap, but good value.

I've now ordered the most expensive cases from Germany.
 
They look amazing Malc. Unbelievable that the cases aren’t the right size…
Thanks, Nick. The weird thing is that the upper and lower bouts and the waist fit, but the body length and the overall length are too short.
 
Sorry to hear of this let down by the supplier Malcolm...

Although you say they're now saying no refund because of out of the 30 day period did you find out and contact them within the 30 days? If so then they don’t have a leg to stand on... and you need to push back on that point. Are they trying to get out of it taking your order date instead of 30 days from receiving them?

I'm thinking that you mentioned they couldn't supply the required number in one go...? You had to wait for them and they came in different deliveries...? Maybe I am mistaken?

Definitely see about getting legal advice. Tentatively put your information on this into one of the AI apps just as a starting point before approaching a solicitor?

Must be really aggravating to be at this last stage and be let down by them.
 
Sorry to hear of this let down by the supplier Malcolm...

Although you say they're now saying no refund because of out of the 30 day period did you find out and contact them within the 30 days? If so then they don’t have a leg to stand on... and you need to push back on that point. Are they trying to get out of it taking your order date instead of 30 days from receiving them?

I'm thinking that you mentioned they couldn't supply the required number in one go...? You had to wait for them and they came in different deliveries...? Maybe I am mistaken?

Definitely see about getting legal advice. Tentatively put your information on this into one of the AI apps just as a starting point before approaching a solicitor?

Must be really aggravating to be at this last stage and be let down by them.
I ordered them well before I was anywhere near finishing them, Frank. Ordered in December and January. The second batch arrived in June, must have been on a ship somewhere. It wasn't until the week before last that I had a finished instrument to try in a case.
 
Malc, are the cases the size you ordered or "as described" in your order? If they are not your right to a refund exists for 6 years. The company's refund policy is irrelevant. If they are not "as described" then they are in breach of the S13 of the Sale of Goods Act. You are entitled to a full refund.
 
I ordered them well before I was anywhere near finishing them, Frank. Ordered in December and January. The second batch arrived in June, must have been on a ship somewhere. It wasn't until the week before last that I had a finished instrument to try in a case.
Mmmm... OK. They're on a winner then with the 30 days (before seeing @PAC1 posted comment). Hopefully you'll be able to find buyers for them. The only alternative I see (at this point) would be you undertaking making some more that will fit in the cases. Is that something to try?
 
Malc, are the cases the size you ordered or "as described" in your order? If they are not your right to a refund exists for 6 years. The company's refund policy is irrelevant. If they are not "as described" then they are in breach of the S13 of the Sale of Goods Act. You are entitled to a full refund.
Thanks. That's what I've been claiming all along, but their human online and phone system only seem to be able to cope with 30 day policy and damage or defect.

After the phone call, I sent a report/statement type email spelling out the evidence of the 'not as described' and half an hour ago I received an email explaining that on the basis of 'not as described', as distinct from 'damage or defect, they were escalating the case to the relevant team for further review.

I'm still not holding my breath, though.
 
You're a step further in communication with them Malcolm. Fingers crossed for better news - along the lines given by @PAC1 👍

I tried looking back in your thread for comments on the cases when you received but couldn't locate it.
 
I've now ordered the most expensive cases from Germany.
I sincerely hope that you've checked and triple checked that the instruments will fit in the cases...but I know you will have. FWIW Malc, I think that the purchase of top quality carrying cases are worthy of your instruments and effort to make them. Personally, I wouldn't have ordered anything less. Much kudos - Rob
 
This image does them a bit better justice.

D396B091-30D2-4800-A9D0-97AFAF1948AE.jpeg

The three on the left have Alpine Spruce tops, Sycamore sides and backs with mainly Sycamore necks with Padauk and Maple central strips..

Of the other four, two have Cedar tops and all have North Devon Monterey Pine for bodies and sides, with Sapele for necks with Maple and Padauk strips..

All headstock facings are book matched Padauk and all bindings and rosettes are Padauk.

All the luthier logos and client children's names are in Mother of Pearl.

Bridges are of African Blackwood, with saddles and nuts of bovine bone.

Cert of Auth and Materials.png

Each of the instruments will have a completed certificate in its case (when I get them!) (I might fine tune the certificate.)
 
Back
Top